Order the Big Book of Makerspace Projects from Amazon or Barnes and Noble.com.
- Download full color pictures of finished projects here. (Click on Downloads>Final Project Pictures)
#Bigmakerbook – on Maker Reading Lists
- Maker Ed’s 2016 Holiday Reading List
- Read this Book – Renovated Learning Review from Diana Rendina
- Books for a Makerspace – Tinkering Child Book List from Jackie Child
- 9 Books to Add to Your Summer Reading List– SparkFun EDU blog
Maker Spaces, STEM, Library Management | Professional Reading – School Library Journal
Once you get started making, this page will host a community gallery to share the work of makers who’ve created projects from (or inspired by) the Big Book of Makerspace Projects which I co-wrote with Aaron Graves.
Here is the blurb from Amazon:
“Start-to-finish, fun projects for makers of all types, ages, and skill levels!
Written by two school librarians obsessed with making stuff, this easy-to-follow guide is full of hands-on, low-cost makerspace projects that will inspire inventors and makers of all ages. The Big Book of Makerspace Projects: Inspiring Makers to Experiment, Create, and Learn features practical tips for beginners and open-ended challenges for advanced makers.
The book features dozens of classroom-tested, hands-on DIY projects and challenges. Each project features clear, non-technical step-by-step instructions with photos and illustrations to ensure success, expand the imagination, and foster innovation. You will explore recyclables hacks, smartphone tweaks, paper and sewing circuits, e-textiles, musical instruments, coding and programming, 3-D printing, and much, much more!
• Fun projects spur the creativity of makers at every skill level
• Covers trending technology such as littleBits, Makey Makey, and Sphero
• Authored by a pair of experienced educators and dedicated makers”
Exciting, right? Here is the Amazon link if you want to preorder or bookmark it.
Wish lists for products by chapter
- Mostly free and household stuff! Look around for rad recyclables to complete most of these projects!
- Pepper’s Ghost with littleBits
Paper Circuits in Chapter 4
- Project 12: LED Origami- LEDS and 2032 Batteries
- Project 13-16: Chibitronic Greeting Cards (For a class of 30- don’t forget the 2032 Coin Cell Batteries!)
- Project 17-18: Pop-Up Tricks – LEDS , copper tape, and 2032 Batteries
Coding in Chapter 5
Musical Instruments in Chapter 6
Sewing Circuits in Chapter 7
- Project 28: Sewing LED Bracelets
- Project 29: Wearable Art Bracelet
- Project 30: Heavy Metal Stuffie with Lilypad Arduino
Makey Makey Projects in Chapter 8
Programming Robots Projects in Chapter 9
littleBits Projects in Chapter 10
Project 41: Servo Bit (o14), pulse Bit (i16), power Bit (p1) with cable and 9-V battery
- Project 42: RGB Bit (o3), pulse Bit (i16), wire Bit (w1), power Bit (p1) with cable and 9-V battery
- Project 43: DC motor Bit (o25), slide dimmer Bit (i5), wire Bit (w1), power Bit (p1) with cable and 9-V battery, MotorMate
Mash-up Projects in Chapter 12
- Project 48: Makey Makey Go and littlebits
- Project 49: Makey Makey Bit with included cables (w14), servo Bit (o11), power Bit, cable(o1), and 9-V battery
- Project 50: Makey Makey Go