Order the Big Book of Makerspace Projects from Amazon or Barnes and Noble.com.
- Download full color pictures of finished projects here. (Click on Downloads>Final Project Pictures)
NEW! Sign up for the #Bigmakerbookclub !
Details from the book club organizers:
“Welcome to #bigmakerbookclub! We are so excited to dive into The Big Book of Makerspace Projects by Colleen Graves and Aaron Graves with you to improve our maker skills and get some great ideas to use with our students/patrons. There are projects ranging from beginner to expert in this book, so don’t be scared to jump right in!
We challenge you to try at least ONE project each week and/or the challenge at the end of the chapters for the week. Share photos/videos of your creation(s) (graphic created by Granbury ISD librarians). Please remember to add #bigmakerbookclub to your posts, and you can also add #bigmakerbook or include author @gravescolleen“
#Bigmakerbookclub GHO: January 19th, 2017
Cassie Janda and Karyn Lewis were excellent moderators in leading some Twitter slowchat discussions around the #bigmakerbook. To end the book club and start the new year, I’ll be chatting with readers and makers via Google Hangouts on January 19, 2017 at 7 pm CST.
Sign up here to get access to the Hangout link! You’ll have time to share projects you made from our book and ask burning questions.
More details here!
#Bigmakerbook – on Maker Reading Lists
- Maker Ed’s 2016 Holiday Reading List
- Read this Book – Renovated Learning Review from Diana Rendina
- Books for a Makerspace – Tinkering Child Book List from Jackie Child
Once you get started making, this page will host a community gallery to share the work of makers who’ve created projects from (or inspired by) the Big Book of Makerspace Projects which I co-wrote with Aaron Graves.
Here is the blurb from Amazon:
“Start-to-finish, fun projects for makers of all types, ages, and skill levels!
Written by two school librarians obsessed with making stuff, this easy-to-follow guide is full of hands-on, low-cost makerspace projects that will inspire inventors and makers of all ages. The Big Book of Makerspace Projects: Inspiring Makers to Experiment, Create, and Learn features practical tips for beginners and open-ended challenges for advanced makers.
The book features dozens of classroom-tested, hands-on DIY projects and challenges. Each project features clear, non-technical step-by-step instructions with photos and illustrations to ensure success, expand the imagination, and foster innovation. You will explore recyclables hacks, smartphone tweaks, paper and sewing circuits, e-textiles, musical instruments, coding and programming, 3-D printing, and much, much more!
• Fun projects spur the creativity of makers at every skill level
• Covers trending technology such as littleBits, Makey Makey, and Sphero
• Authored by a pair of experienced educators and dedicated makers”
Exciting, right? Here is the Amazon link if you want to preorder or bookmark it.
Wish lists for products by chapter
- Mostly free and household stuff! Look around for rad recyclables to complete most of these projects!
- Pepper’s Ghost with littleBits
Paper Circuits in Chapter 4
- Project 12: LED Origami- LEDS and 2032 Batteries
- Project 13-16: Chibitronic Greeting Cards (For a class of 30- don’t forget the 2032 Coin Cell Batteries!)
- Project 17-18: Pop-Up Tricks – LEDS , copper tape, and 2032 Batteries
Coding in Chapter 5
Musical Instruments in Chapter 6
Sewing Circuits in Chapter 7
- Project 28: Sewing LED Bracelets
- Project 29: Wearable Art Bracelet
- Project 30: Heavy Metal Stuffie with Lilypad Arduino
Makey Makey Projects in Chapter 8
Programming Robots Projects in Chapter 9
littleBits Projects in Chapter 10
Project 41: Servo Bit (o14), pulse Bit (i16), power Bit (p1) with cable and 9-V battery
- Project 42: RGB Bit (o3), pulse Bit (i16), wire Bit (w1), power Bit (p1) with cable and 9-V battery
- Project 43: DC motor Bit (o25), slide dimmer Bit (i5), wire Bit (w1), power Bit (p1) with cable and 9-V battery, MotorMate
Mash-up Projects in Chapter 12
- Project 48: Makey Makey Go and littlebits
- Project 49: Makey Makey Bit with included cables (w14), servo Bit (o11), power Bit, cable(o1), and 9-V battery
- Project 50: Makey Makey Go