Tomorrow begins the second year of our Invention Literacy Research project! For new blog readers, you can read about last year’s process in post one, post two, and post three and even find out more about crowdsourcing Invention Literacy at SXSWedu. The rest of this post is actually just videos and links that I’m going to share with students tomorrow as we embark on our Invention Literacy journey. A full write up of our updated process will be posted this summer.
- Make a kazoo using instructions from the #bigmakerbook.
- Discuss aspects of good instructions.
- Create maker journals and define big ideas for project.
- Make a blank head with five bubbles (in your journal) and record five big concepts you keep hearing as you watch these videos.
What is Invention Literacy ?
Cool Tweets for Seeing How Stuff Works
Check out student prototypes from last year!
(These are password protected, so if you are not an RHS student, you can’t view them!)
What kids are saying (password protected):
- To be myself: https://flipgrid.com/346c6b77
- Be Creative: https://flipgrid.com/998f392c
- Ours was the best: https://flipgrid.com/83cb5d79
- Understand tech better: https://flipgrid.com/68cfee56
- ***It all comes down to you: https://flipgrid.com/2bee62e9
Advice from last year:
- Research: https://flipgrid.com/a0a11475
- ***It’s okay to fail: https://flipgrid.com/cb51a51b
- Don’t give up: https://flipgrid.com/c8414a64
- Don’t be afraid: https://flipgrid.com/e793cdb0
- ***RESEARCH, be patient, and plan: https://flipgrid.com/f30e2a82
- **? *Know your limitations: https://flipgrid.com/f0d7fc73
- ***What do you need to know: https://flipgrid.com/91663dcd
- Be flexible: https://flipgrid.com/687e90a5
- ***Make it your own: https://flipgrid.com/de165f19
For the rest of class, you will choose a material to explore. Remember that eventually you will be making your own version of an invention and writing instructions for Mrs. Feranda’s students to follow. (Your instructions will include photos or videos too!)
2 thoughts on “Invention Literacy (For Students)”
Pingback: Invention Literacy Research Project -2nd Iteration – Post One | Create, Collaborate, Innovate
Pingback: CUE’d Up with Sarah Thomas – Episode 2 Featuring Rafranz Davis - CUE Blog